Tu Toa Whangarei (translates to Stand Tall Whangarei) is the community based action initiative focusing on Bullying Behaviour awareness and Prevention, funded by Te Punganga Haumaru from Ministry of Social Development and operated out of the Whangarei Youth Space (WYS). Led by a stunning young man, Ryan Donaldson, we are in the middle of the second all day filming on Sunday at the WYS. The goals and objectives of the project is to raise awareness and understanding of bullying behaviour through the following methods.
• Formation of young leaders group (Group of youth guiding the project)
• Formation of four community groups (groups identified by project to produce short films)
• Development of four short films, all based on bullying behaviour and prevention stories produced from the identified four groups.
• Development of musical piece or song, based on bullying behaviour.
• Running of festival/event where short films and music are displayed and community is invited.
Excitement is growing as the festival/event is going to be a Red Carpet event at our local Cinema Theatre. All the films, video clips and the journey of the making of these clips, films and the music piece will be showcased.
For any further updates or information go to our facebook page - Tu Toa Whangarei; www.youthspace.co.nz